Phurithat Chaiwattanakun, Thitamon Sansri, Tanaporn Srisiripan, Weena Wongwaiwit
The aim of this paper is to investigate an effective development process carried out for 22 novice teachers at
Plearnpattana Secondary School in Thailand.
The collaboration and relationship between teachers and students play an important role in the development of professional learning community and the use of lesson study approach. Professional Learning Community of Pleanpattana Secondary School is composed of 5 functions: (1) respect for dignity and diversity of individuals,
(2) Dialogue with everyone in school, (3) caring relation, (4) collaborative learning via activity-based learning, and (5) after action review. Professional learning community is constructed in order to implement and share of learning of lesson study approach from co-teachers, mentor, expert teachers, principal, etc.
Improved instruction is changed from passive learning to active learning. 5 steps active learning process used as classroom activity-based learning instructional strategies consist of (1) posing the questions, (2) searching and analyzing data, (3) self-constructed knowledge, (4) intra- and inter-group communication, and
(5) knowledge application. The lesson study is used as a way to develop the collaborative teaching approach, of which is composed of 5 following steps: (1) collaboratively analyze, (2) collaboratively plan, (3) collaboratively do and see, (4) collaboratively reflect, and (5) collaboratively redesign.
Findings gathered after implementing lesson study process on 2 occasions showed that:
- Most of the novice teachers – 95.4% – were able to demonstrate active learning lesson plan skill and active learning management skill.
- A large proportion of the novice teachers – 81.8% – agreed that a more collaborative atmosphere in school helped to develop professional learning community.
- The majority of secondary school students – 80% – agreed that classroom environment helped to create a happy learning atmosphere.
- The Ordinary National Educational Test score results, achieved by the students, are at high levels.